Panera Jack Rector Beacon Run 5K

30:00
28% female
43% age group
Course and Elevation Profile.

Wow, that's a mouthful, say the race name five times fast :p Not much to be said for today's race. My calf still hadn't recovered from last week's 10K. I was really hoping to hit 25:00 minutes, using last year's times as an indicator that would have put me in a possibility for placing. The good news is, even if I'd hit 25:00 I still wouldn't have placed this year. It would have been a shame to push so hard and not got what I was wanting out of it anyway. My calf shut me down just after I hit two miles. I walk/ran the last of it. I can't believe I seriously considered doing the 25K, even to mostly walk it would have been miserable. I'm glad I backed out of that. I wish I could convince myself to stop focusing so much on time and just run, I think my body would be the better for it.

My friend Alice did a great job today. She was only a little over a minute behind placing! And she thought she'd come in last! She had a wonderful race!

Oh yeah, I saw three other vibram runners and a guy in huaraches.

Pros:
#1 MASSAGE! I love races that have massage afterwards!
#2 Course was well marked and flat as can be.
#3 Goodie bag had some coupons and flyers in it and a pair of gloves.
#4 Free Bagels! I wish my stomach had felt like food when I got there. They even had cinnamon crunch... yummmm

Cons:
#1 Swag - The logo printed on my shirt is very light, I think if I wash it, it might disappear. Someone was wearing a shirt from a previous year and it didn't look like that.
#2 Parking - That's just the nature of Stars and Stripes Park.
#3 Chips - Last call for picking up your chip was before the 25K start, 20 minutes before the 5K start. My friend who showed up thinking she had plenty of time nearly didn't get her chip.
#4 Personally I would have put the water stop about a quarter into the course since it's an out and back. For those running it in 30 or under it's not that big of a deal, but some of those people were out there for almost an hour. It probably would have been nice for them to be able to get water twice and it wouldn't have hurt anyone to have that opportunity.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72653176